Here is a great re-post from a blog called The Masters's Slave.
Preachers to day versus preachers of old.
• Preachers today are licensed and ordained by the church; men of old were ordained and sent by God.
• Preachers today go forth armed with degrees and credentials; men of old went forth anointed by the Holy Spirit.
• Preachers today are questioned by committees and hired to preach what the church believes; men of old came preaching, “Thus saith the Lord.”
• Preachers today give themselves to programs, visitation, church business; men of old gave themselves to prayer and the ministry of the Word.
• Preachers today preach and men are persuaded to move their membership; men of old preached and “they were pricked in their hearts and cried, Men and brethren, what shall we do?”
• Preachers today pray and the organ plays softly; Elijah prayed and the fire of God fell.
• Preachers today are afraid that they will offend someone; Paul was afraid that he would not. If there is no offence, the gospel has not been preached.
Link to the blog post: