Monday, September 17, 2012
Preachers to day versus preachers of old.
• Preachers today are licensed and ordained by the church; men of old were ordained and sent by God.
• Preachers today go forth armed with degrees and credentials; men of old went forth anointed by the Holy Spirit.
• Preachers today are questioned by committees and hired to preach what the church believes; men of old came preaching, “Thus saith the Lord.”
• Preachers today give themselves to programs, visitation, church business; men of old gave themselves to prayer and the ministry of the Word.
• Preachers today preach and men are persuaded to move their membership; men of old preached and “they were pricked in their hearts and cried, Men and brethren, what shall we do?”
• Preachers today pray and the organ plays softly; Elijah prayed and the fire of God fell.
• Preachers today are afraid that they will offend someone; Paul was afraid that he would not. If there is no offence, the gospel has not been preached.
Link to the blog post:
Wednesday, July 25, 2012
Friday, May 11, 2012
Monday, April 30, 2012
http://bible.us/John6.26.NASB Jesus answered them and said, "Truly, truly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal."
Thursday, January 5, 2012
Just how righteous is that? Should I even try to keep the law? These Pharisees tried that and my righteousness should exceed theirs. How could I possibly do this? I mean those Pharisees knew the law in and out right? They seemed to be the holiest of all men and kept God's laws perfectly...look again.
The Pharisees actually did not fervently keep God's law. They were good at instructing others under traditions of man.
For example (Matthew 15:1-9): 1. Then some Pharisees and scribes came to Jesus from Jerusalem and said, 2. Why do Your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat bread. 3. And He answered and said to them, Why do you yourselves transgress the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? 4. For God said, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER, and, HE WHO SPEAKS EVIL OF FATHER OR MOTHER IS TO BE PUT TO DEATH. 5. But you say, Whoever says to his father or mother, Whatever I have that would help you has been given to God, 6. he is not to honor his father or his mother. And by this you invalidated the word of God for the sake of your tradition. 7. You hypocrites, rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you: 8. THIS PEOPLE HONORS ME WITH THEIR LIPS, BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR AWAY FROM ME. 9. BUT IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME, TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE PRECEPTS OF MEN.
They did not keep the true law, but actually neglected and taught other people to do the same.
Are we acutally invalidating God's law by our traditions? God's law are His commands and this means if we nullify them, then we are not his: (If ye love me, keep my commandments. John 14:15)
May our righteousness be pleasing to God because it is rooted in Christ